While the COVID-19 pandemic is unlike anything we’ve experienced before, Santa Ynez Valley Cottage Hospital (SYVCH) stands ready to care for our community 24/7/365. Should emergency care be needed for COVID-19 or other types of emergencies, Santa Ynez Valley Cottage Hospital is prepared to provide safe care.
Though this is the healthcare challenge of a lifetime, Cottage Health has long made efforts to be ready and prepared for emergencies, with ongoing training for staff and close monitoring of medical supplies and staffing needs.
At Santa Ynez Valley Cottage Hospital, a number of important protections are in place to ensure safety for patients, health care workers and the community:
- Access to the hospital has been consolidated to one entrance, where all are screened and provided with masks before entering.
- The hospital has protections in place to prevent the spread of germs and ensure patient safety.
- Diagnostic and radiologic exams continue to be available with a physician order.
- Emergency Department patients are triaged by clinical staff:
All patients with COVID-19 symptoms are screened in rooms prepared with isolation precautions.
Potential COVID-19 patients who need hospital admission are transferred to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital for inpatient care on a specialized isolation unit.
- Urgent procedures are done with appropriate safety precautions.
- Elective procedures and screenings are being rescheduled, to resume in phases starting next week.
- Hospital visitors are restricted in compliance with public health officer orders, but SYVCH has technology available to keep patients and families connected.
Fortunately, quarantines and social distancing are slowing the spread of COVID-19 in the community, so please continue to:
- Stay home as much as possible
- Wash hands often with soap and water
- Wear masks around others
- Practice social distancing by staying at least six feet away from others
I am thankful to be part of this community. Your outpouring of support and gratitude is a constant source of encouragement for healthcare workers at our hospital, and Santa Ynez Valley Cottage Hospital thanks you for your collective efforts to keep our community and our hospital safe. We also extend thanks to the many community members and local business who have made generous donations including medical supplies like face masks.
Santa Ynez Valley Cottage Hospital looks forward to getting through this challenge with you. It is a great honor to be trusted to care for you.