The Santa Barbara County Fire Department is urging home and business owners to be sure their properties’ address numbers are clearly visible, day and night, to emergency responders in fire engines, ambulances and other vehicles.
Emergency help can be delayed if addresses aren’t visible, so fire officials suggest the following guidelines:
- Address numbers should be at least four inches tall for residential property and at least six inches for commercial buildings.
- The color of the numbers should contrast with the color of their background.
- Numbers should be visible from both directions of travel.
- Trim plants that might obscure the view.
- Consider putting the address in a street-side location as well as on the building.