In response to growing concerns about the spread of COVID-19, the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara has canceled all remaining applicant interviews this season.
Applicants whose interviews have been canceled will not be penalized in any way, said Scholarship Foundation Chief Programs Officer Len Smolburd, adding that applications will now be evaluated on the basis of required documents already submitted. The Scholarship Foundation typically interviews all first-time applicants with the help of community volunteers. Last year volunteer interviewers numbered almost 200 individuals countywide.
“We are taking this unprecedented step to ensure the safety of our applicants and other community members,” said Scholarship Foundation President and CEO Barbara Robertson. “We are also responding to widespread school closures throughout the region, as most of our interviews take place at area schools.”
The Scholarship Foundation’s selection process will otherwise continue as before. As previously indicated the organization will announce scholarship awards on May 15.
For more information, call 805-687-6065 or visit www.sbscholarship.org.